Friday, July 8, 2011

Repeat after me -- being gay is okay

Tracey Barnett is a Herald columnist and writes: " I don't care what we say socially, what our organisations, workplaces, churches, rugby teams, actually say instead is: Be invisible, because it's easier for us both.
I can ask if you're Italian or left-handed or put mayo on corned beef (which is just plain wrong), but socially, I'm not allowed to ask if you're gay. There is this weird wall that neither of us will leap over to ask if you've had a good weekend with somebody un-named. In that silence, you erase them, you erase yourself and moreover, any chance I will ever have to know you wholly.
What absolute drivel that we pretend, if you're gay, it is none of our business. It is as much my business as hearing that your dog has an IQ of 12, or your kid got a school prize for whingeing. " More

No comments:

Post a Comment