Friday, September 16, 2011

Santa Clara teen who tried to 'pray the gay away' now champions gay youths


As a sixth-grader, Cyrus Sinai would often drop to his knees, desperately trying to "pray the gay away."
Born to Iranian parents, active in the Mormon Church and approaching puberty, young Cyrus was desperately confused about his sexual feelings. .
"I felt like my life had ended," Sinai said. "I pictured living in a shadowy underworld. I felt like I had cancer."
Saturday the 18-year-old Santa Clara High graduate heads off to university with a $10,000 prize he won this summer from a San Francisco-based group championing the bravery of gay youth.
"Cyrus is the most amazing activist I've ever met," said Michael Wilson, the school's Gay Straight Alliance adviser. "I've been all over the world and met a lot of activists." More

No comments:

Post a Comment